Call for Papers
Paper submissions are due by the extended deadline 15 May 2020, this will be the only extension offered.
The call for abstracts is closed and invitations for paper submissions sent on 6 December 2019.
Take note of these key dates:
Extended to 1 November 2019
Extended 6 December 2019
2 December 2019
15 May 2020 (extended)
15 June 2020
February 2020 (updated)
21 August 2020
Conference takes place:
15-17 October 2020
The 21st National Symposium of the New Zealand Geotechnical Society will be opening the call for abstracts in July 2019.
The symposium aims to provide lively discussions around learnings from our past achievements and failures as well as a focus on new technologies in order to develop “Good Grounds for the Future”.
Symposium theme and subthemes include:
- Climate change and geotechnics
- Responding and rebuilding after natural hazards
- Providing resilient communities
- New technologies for a changing world
- Planning for severe events
- Communicating and managing risk
- Innovative tools and techniques
- Best practice in design and construction
Before submission, please have an abstract prepared of no more than 250 words along with a title and authors. You will be asked to paste the title and abstract into fields in the submission form then enter each author and affiliation. You will not be uploading a file.
Abstracts should be submitted by the 15 October 2019 deadline. Acceptance confirmations will advise on presentation length and detail instructions for full papers due by 15 April 2020.
Offered by Doug Mason, WSP OPUS © NCTIR, NZTA and KIWIRAIL
Please note that due to the large number of papers anticipated for the Symposium, papers may be presented (a) orally, (b) as a digital or paper poster, or (c) 5 by 5 short group presentation.
- All peer reviewed and accepted papers will be published in the digital symposium proceedings.
- You will be advised of your allocation of an oral, poster or 5 by 5 presentation once your paper has been submitted and undergone peer review.
- Publication of your paper in the proceedings will need to be accompanied by at least one registered author.
Please click here to download the paper template and guidelines. Please ensure your paper meets all the requirements before submitting.
How to upload your Full Paper (due Wednesday 15 April 2020):
- To upload your full paper please click here
- Enter your email address and password
- Click on the ‘edit’ button that appears below your abstract submission
- Upload your paper where prompted
Timely submission of your paper by the submission deadline is important as we have limited time for the peer review and to finalise the symposium proceedings. Your prompt and punctual submission is greatly appreciated.
If you wish to withdraw your submission, please notify the organisers in writing to [email protected].
Kindly supplied by BECA
Language of Submission
All abstracts must be submitted in English.
Review and Notification to Authors
All completed submissions will be reviewed by at least two reviewers. You will be informed by email of the acceptance status of your abstract by 29 November 2019 along with details of presentation length and final paper requirements.
All presenters are required to register and pay the symposium registration fee in order to be included in the program and to present. Registration and payment of registration fee by presenters of accepted abstracts must be completed no later than 15 May 2020.
Accepted abstracts will be published. By submitting an abstract, authors agree to allow NZGS and the 2020 NZGS Symposium committee to publish.
Instructions for presenters will be included in acceptance communications via email from the domain @confer.co.nz so please ensure you safe list this domain.